Sleeping Separately

Last nite was my first attempt and bob to let Farissa sleep on her on bed (*yups... sob sob).. I had taken the opportunity on the weekend to change the sheets cover with her Disney Princess theme (will let u guys see the bedsheets later on)... So that she will be all psyched about sleeping on her "new bed"...

Let me start my story, when Farissa was a baby last time... she was an absolutely bad sleeper.. constantly waking up on every 2 hours (without fail) and have difficulty of falling asleep again.. "Ahaaaaaa..." I know most moms will say.. thats whats ALL babies do and all mommies and daddies had to go through rite??? Rite... But at THAT time I was raising Farissa alone without anyone (*yups last time Bob was faraway in Sarawak...).. I had no tag team member to share and care about the sleeping ordeal... and that's when I decided to buy I book about babies and sleeping <-- I will share the title of the book with you really soon...

The book really helps but at THAT time I was not ready (emotionally) to let Farissa sleep alone nor to let her cry to sleep (she still a BABY for crying out loud..) So, when she turns 18 months, she slept all through the nite and I was getting enough sleep... A very good sleeper indeed.. and everyone and especially her mother "me" was really really happy *love*


As time goes by and Farissa turns 4.. our Queen bed seems rather small... with 2 adults and 1 incredible little space seeker and heat magnet (yup farissa can detect my body heat.. she will stay absolutely close...) , I felt squished and a bit uncomfortable... that's when I decided Farissa need to sleep on her bed!

Ok ok.... Last nite was THE first attempt... She took it rather well you know... I talk about sleeping in her room and read her Cinderella... She clearly understands that she had to sleep there...

I let her choose any soft toy that she would like to sleep with and she had chose her minnie and her bunny... hmmm that was ok..

I turn on her night lamp and and reminded her that I will be in my room but her door and mine are always open.. I told her that I will check on her in a bit... she was still ok...

So, the author of the book wrote that parents should always support the child for the first night.. Mommy or Daddy (not both) should check in the child each 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, until the child are able to sleep... SO that was the plan...

So, we followed the plan through.. first I check-in on her then.. her dad check-in on her.. However, in between the check ins I will hear little steps outside.. If that happens.. either parents should bring her to bed and DO NOT participate in ANY conversation that she happens to create or bring up and NEVER to stay for more than 30 secs... So ok.. we did that as well...

After 1 hour of this practice... Farissa SUCCESSFULLY slept through the night in her bedroom alone... :) Alhamdullilah...

I will definitely update you guys of the progress tonight... till then~~

Comments